5 favorite spots in downtown Fort Worth


Downtown Fort Worth has been one of my favorite places since childhood. I saw my first Broadway-style show there (Phantom of the Opera), participated in the annual Parade of Lights as a teenager, and had my first "date" with Adam there, walking through the winding, double-story Barnes and Noble. I remember hearing a singer-songwriter perform on the rooftop patio of what was then The Caravan of Dreams and is now the Reata, and thinking that I wanted to do the same thing. I had my first temp job as a receptionist in downtown Fort Worth and my first Vanilla Latte at the Sundance Square Starbucks. Adam and I have made lots of memories in Downtown Fort Worth, from that first date, to the first time we said "I love you," to anniversary and Valentine dates. It's not just me, a Fort Worth native, who loves the city. Livability.com recently named Fort Worth as the #1 downtown in the nation based on general livability and income, retail, and employment growth. It also doesn't hurt that parking is easy and free on nights and weekends. (Dallas, please take note!)

This year, when we wanted a mini-vacation for our 7th anniversary, we looked to Fort Worth once again, and it was an exceptionally restful and renewing 24 hours, filled with lots of delicious food, live jazz, and relaxation. So, being the list-maker that I am, I began to ponder my 5 favorite spots in downtown Fort Worth. Here they are, in no particular order:

1. The Bird Cafe



Bacon. Waffles.
This weekend, we ate not one, but two meals at the Bird Cafe, a quirky gastro-pub right on one corner of the new Sundance Square Plaza.  Normally I don't go in for restaurants like the Bird Cafe. While I like the concept of all locally-sourced ingredients, a seasonally-changing menu, and unusual foods like Rabbit pot pie, goat risotto, and duck eggs, in my (limited) experience with similar restaurants, the hype far outweighs the quality. Not so with the Bird Cafe. I've enjoyed all the food I've tried there, from ordinary pub fare like fish & chips to my decadent brunch order of bacon waffles, to a light and flavorful yellow-fin tuna greek salad. The prices are reasonable, the atmosphere inside the historic building is cozy, and the spacious patio outside looks right out onto the Plaza. Bonus: the music inside is eclectic and calming. If you don't like whatever they're playing, just wait a few moments and the music is bound to change to something you'll know and like. I can't recommend the Bird Cafe enough.


2. Bass Hall



I have a lot of fun memories of Bass Hall, from that first Phantom of the Opera experience to singing there myself in college. But even if you don't get to see a show there or perform there, it's worth going to Bass Hall on a Saturday morning to take the free tour of the building. (Tours start at 10:30 a.m.; more info. here). It's pretty fascinating to learn about all the gorgeous architectural and design details and to see parts of the building you don't normally get to see as an audience member. And, of course, if you can see a show, you should. Even if you're from Dallas, it's worth the drive, and the ticket prices are generally not as outrageous as those for the ATT Performing Arts Center in Dallas.

3. Earth Bones



I've loved this tiny shop ever since I found one of my favorite necklaces there as a teenager. Earth Bones is the place to go for unique and locally-made gifts including candles, jewelry, cards, and other random gift items, and they also have a lovely selection of boutique-style clothes and shoes. Also, you can get a Dublin, TX root beer there -- delicious! I always stop at Earth Bones when I'm in Sundance Square.

4. Sundance Square Plaza



The new Sundance Square Plaza is the closest you'll get to the feeling of an Italian plaza in Texas. Surrounded by restaurants in every price point, filled with public tables and benches, and featuring some uniquely Texan art work, the Plaza is the perfect place to sit with a cup of coffee and enjoy a beautiful day. While we were there this past weekend, we saw people playing chess, kids jumping through the jetted fountain, and business professionals enjoying their lunch break. The Plaza is a beautiful public space that Fort Worth should be very proud of.


5. The Scat Jazz Lounge


Adam and I have been to the Scat Jazz Lounge on a busy Friday night and on a relaxed Sunday night, and both occasions were time well-spent. The big-band jazz on the busy weekend was great, but the informal jazz jam on Sunday night was possibly even better, especially since we had our pick of a corner booth. The atmosphere is calculated for that jazz-age speak-easy feel (you even have to go down an alley and take an elevator down to the club), but it never feels cheesy or too themey -- somehow it feels authentic, like you actually stepped back in time to a perfectly cozy jazz club. On a busy weekend night, you should make a reservation, but on a weeknight, you can walk right in and sit wherever you want. This place alone makes me wish I lived in downtown Fort Worth so I could stroll over to the jazz club once a week and let the amazing music wash over me in the candle-lit darkness. If you're planning a trip to Fort Worth, you should definitely put this hidden gem on your agenda.



Comments

Popular Posts