Take up Jeans with minimal sewing

As my weight has fluctuated a bit over the last few years, but I've wanted to hold on to a favorite pair of jeans, I've learned how to take in the waistband using a simple method that requires no sewing machine and only a few messy stitches by hand.

I'm not going to go through every step here, because I wanted to share the link with you for the place I originally found the directions -- this website. The directions there are clear and easy to follow, but there aren't many pictures of the process, so here are some of mine:

 The assembled materials: jeans, scissors, elastic, needle & thread, fray check

 The first, scary cut: right into the waistband

 The difficulty of threading the elastic through depends on the pants and the elastic. If I stick a safety pin through one end to give me something to hold on to, I can usually finish this part pretty quickly. Sometimes I've gone as far as attaching a pencil to the elastic to make it even easier to push through.


Once the elastic is all the way through, just try on the jeans and pull the elastic to the appropriate level of fit and comfort. Take the jeans off and stitch the elastic in place. Then, use fray check to keep those cut ends from fraying.

I have used this method on several pairs of jeans, shorts, and even a couple of skirts. All that is required is that the garment must have a waistband with a double layer of fabric so you have something to pull the elastic through. This method is easy, effective, and is especially useful when you find yourself between sizes or with pants that fit everywhere but in the waist. 


Comments

Popular Posts