No heat headband curls


I've been meaning to do a post about how I do these headband curls for a while now because I get so many questions about it in real life. Then, a friend of mine requested a hair tutorial, so I put it on the agenda for the first part of the year. Finally, Audrey listed "try a new hairstyle" as her style challenge for this week, and even though this isn't a new hairstyle for me, it is new for a lot of people, so I decided the time had finally come to walk you through the process.

Step 1: Start with clean, damp hair. Mine's actually a little wetter here than I'd normally do, but I was pressed for time. 


2. Grab a circular headband and put it on over the hair in "hippie style." My favorite headbands to use are these soft jersey ones, but I've also used a scarf that I tied around my head so that I could have a pretty bow peeking out of the back when I wear my hear out in the curling position.


Step 3: Starting in front, wrap appx. 2-inch sections of hair around the band, so that each piece encircles the head band.



Keep going!

Halfway there! (You could even wear your hair this way if you want.)

Step 4: When you get all the way around on both sides, you'll probably have a piece leftover in the center. Make a little part in your hair at the nape of your neck (above the headband) and tuck the remaining hair through, wrapping around until it's all tucked in.




Step 5: Tuck in any stray bits and you're done for now. Leave your hair this way for several hours or overnight. I like to wear my hair this way (see here). It's all very Downton Abbey. 


Step 6: Take the headband out. Because my hair is already curly, I look like I stepped off a Pride and Prejudice set when at first. (If Pride and Prejudice cosplay is your thing, now you have one more trick for how to get that look.) It takes a while for the curls to pull out to a normal look, so I usually take the headband out at night and sleep with my hair up in a knot. In the morning, they look normal and I'm ready to go. Depending on your hair texture, you'll have very different results, but the thing I like about this trick is that it makes the curls curve away from the face in a nice flattering shape that should work regardless of how tight the curls are. 

"It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a fortune must be in want of a wife."



Now you have the perfect tools for those romantic Valentine's day curls!




Comments

  1. What a great tutorial! I simply Love the final result - beautiful! Plus two thumbs up for a mention of P&P. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I will take any opportunity to reference Jane Austen. Or to pretend to be Elizabeth Bennett. Or to watch a Colin Firth film. You know, priorities. :)

      Delete
  2. "I most truly and ardently love you." and your curl tutorial! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving your kind and thoughtful comments.

Popular Posts