2013 in Pictures

I know I'm a little late on the year-in-review band wagon. Like I said last week, I've been busy -- reading Harry Potter. Since I didn't blog for most of last year, I have a lot to catch you up on, but I decided to limit it to 12 pictures. So here it is, 2014 in review:
January: New Hairstyle. It may seem silly, but 2013 was the first time I ever straightened my hair on a regular basis, and this was a big deal for me, a proud curly girl. Somehow the new look opened up new possibilities for me in terms of style, confidence, and my notions of identity.

February: Academic Conference in Albuquerque. I read a paper about Mumford and Sons on a panel about folk music. It was a fun departure from all the Dylan writing.

March: At the Cindy Sherman exhibit at the Dallas museum of Art. They set up a Cindy Sherman photo studio to recreate some of her famous shots. Mostly, I love the Mad Men feel of this.

April: We played the House of Blues dinner stage for the first time. The two House of Blues concerts we played this year were some of the most fun all year. Even though people were busy eating dinner, they were a great audience, and our mix of 60s and 70s covers and originals went over really well.

May: I turned 30. The same day, I got a teaching job and took my faculty picture, so this is the only documentation I have of the big 3-0.

June: For our 6th anniversary, Adam and I saw Robert Plant and the Sensational Space Shifters. It was a fantastic concert. He opened with "Babe, I'm Gonna' Leave You," and played all my favorites, including "Going to California." It was a perfect concert. Another notable concert later that year was "The Lone Bellow," whose debut album is, without a doubt, my favorite music of 2013.

July: I wrote all month to meet a draft deadline. This was my "inspiration board."

August: Dallas Does Dylan. After finishing that draft, it was very gratifying to play this show. I especially enjoyed playing "It's Alright Ma, I'm Only Bleeding," which turned out to be good practice for my dissertation defense.

September: submitted the final dissertation draft -- probably a bigger feeling of relief than the defense or graduation.


October: a beautiful fall day spent with friends just a few days before my defense.

November: I capped my first year as Director of Music Ministry at Highland Baptist Church with a worship band appreciation dinner at Buca di Beppo. Some of my favorite people and some of my favorite food!


December: My doctoral hooding. The original ceremony was cancelled because of a massive ice storm. My sweet parents were able to come to the hastily-rescheduled make-up ceremony.



Comments

Popular Posts