Polka-Cats bag


Do you remember that cat-print backpack I was drooling over when I wrote this dream-school-supplies post? When I ended up with this plain khaki bag, I decided it would make the perfect foundation for my own DIY cat-print bag, and I only needed a few supplies that I already had on hand:

Supplies:
Plain bag
cardstock or heavy paper
scissors
a Sharpie

Step 1: Sketch your design on your cardstock. I used one of those free half-price books bookmarks they include with every purchase.



Your cat might try to help you with this part
 Step 2: Cut out your design to make a stencil


Step 3: Using the Sharpie of your choice (I chose black), use your stencil to add your design in a somewhat hap-hazard fashion all over your bag. You may need to put a book or other hard surface inside the bag to help you draw the design on.


Step 4: Keep going until your design looks the way you want it to. I discovered that the key with this design was to vary the angle and the distance just enough so that it didn't look too precise. I also read that if you want to make sure your sharpie design is "set" you should apply heat of some kind. I threw this bag in the dryer for a little while. I'll let you know how that works out if the bag gets wet, I guess.


Step 5: Take your bag out on adventures! (And keep an eye on your cat, who might try to sneak inside that new, cushy hiding place and go with you).









Comments

Popular Posts