5 favorite Beatles Covers


This Saturday, January 17th at 7:30 pm, I'll be joining some of DFW's greatest (and nicest) singer-songwriters for "Dallas Does the Beatles" at Opening Bell Coffee. As I started preparing my own covers for this wonderful show, I began to think about what my favorite covers of Beatles songs might be, and I found 5 to share with you.

5. Joe Cocker's "A Little Help from my friends."


I love it because it's classic, because the live version is the iconic Woodstock moment, and because the opening strains of this song filled every Saturday night of my childhood when I watched Kevin Arnold's latest adventures on The Wonder Years.

4. Rufus Wainwright's "Across the Universe."


This lovely cover from the I Am Sam soundtrack totally redeems the poorly-recorded, badly sung original, letting the beauty of the song shine through.

3. Ray Charles's Let It Be. 



Everything Ray Charles sang was perfect, but the combination of one of the best songs ever written with one of the best singers ever is magical.

2. Aretha Franklin's "Eleanor Rigby."


The Queen of Soul's spin on this tune transforms it from a contemplative piece on the human condition to a gospel anthem that spurs the listener to reach out to all the Eleanor Rigbys of the world.

1. Ella Fitzgerald's "Got to Get You Into My Life."


The lady could sing anything, and she totally owns this number. This is by far my favorite Beatles' cover -- it's so joyful and exciting.

Stop by this Saturday night to hear all kinds of great Beatles covers, including a few by yours truly. It's going to be a wonderful evening!

(Read about my thoughts from the last time I played a Dallas Does the Beatles show, here).




Comments

Popular Posts