What I've Read: Better than Before


This weekend, I devoured Gretchen Rubin's new book about habits, Better than Before.  You may know Rubin from the bestselling books, The Happiness Project and Happier at Home. I enjoyed The Happiness Project, so when I saw this new, signed copy of Rubin's latest book on sale at Target, I decided to give it a try.

Desmond helped.

As with Rubin's other writings, the writing style is approachable and informative. She organizes a whole lot of material into digestible bits with plenty of real-world application. The book gave me a lot to consider about how to finally keep those good habits that I always seem to drop or to drop those habits that I know I shouldn't keep. Unlike other books on this topic, Rubin doesn't give a one-size-fits-all solution; she explores a range of temperaments, personalities, and tendencies and offers a variety of strategies for all.


Because there was so much information, I want to read the book again, this time with some specific goals in mind, and make a plan based on what would work for me.


Desmond also read it to try to break his habit of chewing paper. I don't think Rubin considered cat personality types in her research.


I would definitely recommend this book to anyone looking to start or break a habit (which is most of us). I am horrible at habits beyond those that are already deeply ingrained in me, and, as it turns out, being a grown-up is mostly about the maintenance of things -- meaning, if I want to be a successful grown-up, I need some better habits, ASAP. I'm excited about re-reading the book and making a plan. And if it works, I'll be sure to let you know.





Comments

Popular Posts